Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Chapter 7: Communicating With Technologies

      Podcasting seems like a great way to get information out to many people at one time. I really like the part where a new podcast is automatically downloaded to your computer or iPod when it becomes available. I think it could be a great tool in certain classrooms but not in others. For example, using podcasting for lectures and other types of notes in a history or science classroom would work great. The students would not have to copy down everything the teacher says and the teacher would not have to make a ton of copies to hand out. The students would have their copies digitally. I am not saying that teachers should not give these lectures or lecture about the notes. I am simply saying that students would be able to have their own copies that they can access anytime. As for a math class, I can’t see podcasting working very well. You might be able to put some examples out there or give homework assignments that way, but I don’t think it would be worth the time it takes to create it.
     I think podcasting is very similar to the other Web 2.0 technologies we have discussed. It allows students and teachers to be connected outside the everyday classroom. If the teacher has some extra information about a topic, he/she can create the podcast for the students. Blogs are very similar. While they can’t be downloaded to some type of device, they are accessible to students all the time. Again, if the teacher has something to add, he/she can blog about it. Podcasting is a little different than a wiki in the fact that it is not collaborative. A podcast is created by one person. While everyone can be active in the actual podcast, only one person can actually piece it together and send it out to everyone. VoiceThread is similar in the fact that they are both using video and audio to show someone something. However, with a podcast, other people can’t leave comments on it or interact with it. There are a few differences between all the different technologies, but for the most part, they all serve the same general purpose.

     I actually own a couple MP3 players, an iPod, and an Android smart phone. However, only my iPod and my phone are capable of dealing with something such as a podcast. I use both of these for all kinds of things. I use them for checking my email, facebook, listening to music and many other things. They are very useful when I don’t feel like lugging my laptop around or pulling it out just to check one thing or listen to one song. I am not sure that I could use either of these tools in my classroom. I am sure there is a way, however, I can’t think of one. I would love to find a way if I could. I think the advantages of online communication tools far outweigh the disadvantages. There are so many different ways to use them that help students learn better than just sitting in a classroom. If it keeps them engaged, entertained, and authentically learning, then I am all for it. Online communication tools can be a great way to help our students. 

Lefever, L. (Producer), (2007). Podcasting in Plain English. Available from http://commoncraft.com

5 comments:

  1. "I am not sure that I could use either of these tools in my classroom. I am sure there is a way, however, I can’t think of one."

    Well how I said I'd be using them is to record lectures and allow students to go back and listen to them while studying at home. Other than that, as far as podcasts go, I don't think I'd use them in the classroom. The other tools we've been over that allow better presentation of audio and visual components seem better for projects that require presentations. So you could use them in that way, even at lower grades. Another example: For an elementary teacher, teachers could make an audio lesson for students to use at home to study for spelling tests and such. Recording aloud whatever words are being studied, repeating how they are spelled, and using an example of the words in a sentence. I think this would be a pretty good tool for a student to listen to multiple times for a study session and seeing how easy it is to make a podcast, it wouldn't take much time for a teacher to do such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As future teachers in today's society, I feel that we are definitely more technological advanced than past generations. I however, am not very tech savvy and am somewhat overwhelmed with the use of Smartphones and iPods, etc... My own kids know more about them than I do. I definitely need to get with the times and see how I will be able to incorporate their use in my class. I want my kids to be able to learn and not only in the old school ways of being taught.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that podcasting would work great with certain types of lectures for the students have the notes without having to try to write everything the teacher is trying to say. Math is a little more hands on, but using podcasts as a way to put examples would be great that way the students could look at the examples of what they did in class so it could refresh their memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you made some very good points and wrote what you thought very well.. I am also interested in podcasting and other technologies we have mentioned but I dont know how I would use them yet. I like the example above on what to do in a math class. I hope to be a math teacher so it was a good thought. I may not use every piece of technology presented to me but it would still be nice to know HOW to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see how it could be difficult to integrate podcasts into a math class. Math is so hands on and visual, and I can't imagine just listening to a recorded lecture and "getting it." If a video recording and voice could be incorporated, I think it would be very helpful. I know the technology on the Promethean boards. I'd like to see how that would work out!

    ReplyDelete