Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Copyright, Fair Use, and Online Safety

As Fryer put it, “Not only do educators have a responsibility and legislative mandate to model ethical, legal, and appropriate respect for US copyright law in their own teaching, but they must also educate the next generation about the importance and requirements of intellectual property law.” (par. 1) It is important for us, as educators, to demonstrate to our students the proper way to use another person’s intellectual property. Not only is it important because it is the ethical thing to do, but if not done correctly, it could land an educator in hot water with the legal system (which no teacher wants). The only way I see to teach my students about respect for copyrights and fair use is to demonstrate it myself. Learning by example, in my opinion, is perhaps the best way for students to learn something so important.

Online safety is very different from cyber bullying. Online safety involves keeping you, your personal information, and the personal information of others safe. Cyber bullying, as defined on Wikipedia, is when information and technological communications are used to harm others. We can help protect our students by educating them about both of these topics and by also setting a good example. Students need to know to not ever give out personal information about themselves or others and to always use a “cyber name” that does not give away personal information such as a name, birthday, or location.

I thought this week’s activities were great. I never fully understood why copyright was such a big deal. Personally, my teachers never explained it to me. However, I understand now just how important copyright, fair use, and online safety is. I will do the best I can to make sure my students understand as well. I learned a lot of new information about fair use, especially the four criteria that determine fair use. I have a feeling these criteria will serve their purpose in my classroom.

Definition of cyberbullying retrieved on February 16, 2011 from:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyber-bullying

Fryer, Wesley. (2002-03). Copyright 101 for Educators: Winter 2003. Retrieved on February 16, 2011 from http://www.wtvi.com/TEKS/02_03_articles/copyright.htm

2 comments:

  1. Like on Derek's post, I like how you chose the lead by example method. I would also recommend doing research, and taking that cyberbee game/quiz.

    I would also agree that cyber bullying and online safety are not the exact same. However, I would relate them, as online safety can help prevent cyber bullying.

    I would just like to say that I am glad to have that copyright chart the instructor gave. Although I plan to teach math and not pull things from other places or reuire students to do research, I know there will be a time when I need it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is difficult for students to grasp the importance of observing and abiding by the rules that apply to copyrights. Setting a good example for students is definitely important.

    While cyber bullying and online safety are different, good online safety skills can prevent cyber bullying. It can also help with dealing with instances of cyber bullying if it does occur.

    I found this week's activities interesting as well. I'm glad that I now have a better understanding of all that goes into copyrights and fair use. I know that chart will come in handy later! I've already printed it out. :)

    ReplyDelete